- This event has passed.
Dance Saturdays at the Sanctuary: HOROS: Traditional Greek Dance
April 13 @ 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm$35
Dance Saturdays continues Jose Mateo Ballet Theatre‘s signature style of presenting “dance up-close” with an expanded vision and format. Upon entering the Sanctuary, audiences will be immersed in an in-depth cultural and artistic experience as a way to further explore the provocative and sometimes hidden worlds of ten different dance forms. Presented as a celebration of dance, the performances by leading dance artists from the Greater Boston area will be accompanied by a culturally rich dance party ambiance with music, visual art displays, dancing for all, food and drinks.
Event begins at 7:00 p.m. at The Sanctuary Theatre (400 Harvard Street in Harvard Square, Cambridge.) An optional dance lesson will be offered in advance of the event at 6:30 p.m. by Alex Ruggeri.
Single Performances: $35 each
Subscriptions start at $25 per performance
VIP Tickets: $125 includes free parking and other benefits
Tickets can be purchased through the Jose Mateo Ballet Theatre website.
As if responding to an ancestral call, Boston Lykeion Ellinidon’s dance troupe promoting Hellenic traditions by preserving the dances that have always been so integral to social and cultural life in Greece and throughout the diaspora. Performances of old and new regional dances (horos) in authentic costumes are the highlight of a festive evening of Greek food, drink, participatory dance and other cultural pleasures including a photographic exhibit by the highly acclaimed Robert McCabe.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE EVENT:
- Live music by REVMA featuring Mal Barsamian and George Lernis
- Poetry readings by Vassiliki Rapti, chair of the Ludics Seminar, Mahindra Humanities Center, Harvard University, director of the Advanced Training in Greek Poetry Translation & Performance Workshop, and affiliated faculty of the Department of Writing, Literature and Publishing, Emerson College, and Peter Botteas
- Dances of the Greek islands, mainland, and Asia Minor
- Mezedes provided by local Greek restaurants and home cooks
- Cash bar with wines of Greece generously donated by Boston Bottle